These supplements are showing promise for brain fog. They could work by reducing micro-clots and minimizing systemic inflammation.
Microclots could be one of the core drivers of Long Covid; breaking up these microclots could help restore normal functioning of organs and tissues. It appears that Nattokinase and Serrapeptase have shown benefit in patient reports, and could work by reducing the presence of microclots in the body.
A number of supplements have been proposed as able to remove micro-clots, with anecdotal evidence from an informal survey by a prolific Long Covid researcher on twitter, LongCovidPharmD.
How it works
- An early study by Resia Pretorius found extensive amyloid blood clots in the plasma of acute Covid patients, and that identical clots could be induced in normal blood from uninfected patients simply by adding the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein to their blood. These clots are resistant to the normal means of removal.
- Another study by Resia Pretorius found similar clots in all 70 individuals tested with Long Covid. These clots can inhibit oxygen transfer to tissues, and this mechanism could help account for brain fog, fatigue, shortness of breath, sleep disorders, and other common Long Covid symptoms. Anti-clotting supplements interrupt the process involved in the formation of blood clots, thus potentially returning normal oxygen transfer function.
- In the latest study from a Long Covid advocate and researcher who is prominent on Twitter, over 60% of people reported benefit on Lumbrokinase and/or Serrapeptase. Results:
- Combined triple treatment of fibrin amyloid microclots and platelet pathology in individuals with Long COVID/ Post-Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC) can resolve their persistent symptoms
- Prevalence of readily detected amyloid blood clots in ‘unclotted’ Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus and COVID-19 plasma: a preliminary report
- Could Microclots Be a Hidden Cause of Long COVID Symptoms?
- Could microclots help explain the mystery of long Covid?